The last major hurricane to hit the USA, Hurricane Sandy, caused an estimated $75 billion worth of damage as it ripped through the North Eastern United States in October 2012. Alongside the hurricane came a great deal of debate, with scientists and meteorologists questioning whether global warming is causing this apparent increase in hurricane frequency and intensity.

With the threat of hurricanes and flooding seemingly becoming more prevalent, it is becoming ever more important for homeowners to make sure that their properties are protected against hurricane damage, particularly if they live in a 'flood zone' or 'hurricane zone'. As such, making sure that your Weatherford home insurance policy covers you against flood damage is essential.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the Insurance Information Institute answered many people's queries regarding what is covered under their current home insurance policy. First and foremost, the question as to whether wind damage was covered was front and centre of most peoples thoughts. Thankfully, all damage from windstorms, such as tornadoes and hurricanes, is covered under residential insurance. This applies whether you live in your own standalone home, in a unit within a larger building, or any other dwelling where you reside. In addition to this, home insurance policies will cover attached structures, such as garages, swimming pools, sheds, and other outbuildings associated with the property.

When is comes to flood damage, however, the majority of home insurance policies will not provide coverage. Flood coverage generally requires a separate policy, which can be obtained from the National Flood Insurance Program. If you live in a 'flood zone' as designated by FEMA, then purchasing flood coverage is essential. 

Power outages during hurricanes are also hugely common. Most insurance companies will, therefore, cover spoilage up to about $500 per appliance when it comes to food wastage due to fridges and freezers going off. In addition, power surges that cause damage to in-built household appliances, such as an air conditioning unit, will generally be covered. Surges that cause damage to external appliances, like televisions and computers will, however, not be covered.

One question that many people have is whether they should file a claim, even if the total estimated damage is under their deductible. In most cases, it is sensible to do so. Often further damage becomes evident in the months following the hurricane, so filing your claim with ensure that this is also covered.

In essence, home insurance policies will generally cover wind damage, and spoilage/power damage that occurs due to hurricanes and tornadoes. Flood damage, however, will not be covered, so purchasing additional flood coverage from the NFLP will be important.

For more information on protecting your property against hurricane damage, call Magill Agency at 1-800-878-7105 today.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011

View Mobile Version